In this colorful and quirky crossover novel, Kristen Caven reimagines Cinderella as a middle-American teenager with body image issues as well as the usual step-problem. This sweetly twisted version of the beloved fairytale bubbles with fresh character interpretations, emotionally resonant plot points and laugh-out-loud allusions to the story everyone knows. The Souls of Her Feet will inspire family conversations about responsibility, being passive or assertive, morality, waste, life choices, cross-dressing, and most importantly…cleaning house!
Caven’s postmodern, self-aware emotional fantasy gives the fairy godmother a meaningful relationship with Ashley’s lost parents. (And what teenage girl doesn’t wish an uncle figure with aesthetic sensibilities would magically appear to save her from a world of tacky clutter and materialism?) When she finally gets to the prom, wearing just the right shoes, the transformed finally Ashley feels seen for who she is inside. A campy adventure of soul-love and assisted self-rescue from a childhood gone all wrong.
This new (4th) edition contains bonus materials such as essays by the main characters and songs from the musical.
156 pages (English)
6×9″ • $13.99
Editions: Blook > Little Pig Productions > Uplift Press (2015, 2019)
- Books that Make You Live in a Fairytale with Desiree Duffy
- Lois Lane Interviews Authors with Cristina Deptula
- Overdressed for Life with Moya Stone
- On Creative Adaptation with Beth Barany
- The Good Men Project: Eight Reasons I Wrote a Male Fairy Godmother
- Medium: Cinderella as a Stoic Philosopher
- So many Shoe Salons! Can’t list ’em all anymore!
- “Ladies Who Lit” at The Bellevue Club, August 2019
- House party, Boulder, July 2019
- Literary Foolery Salon, Alley Cat Books, San Francisco, May 2014, “Feminsm and Fairytales” show
- Laurel Bookstore, Oakland, May, 2016
- SoleSpace, Oakland, March, 2016
- Simply Green Day Spa, June, 2013
- California Writer’s Club, Oakland, June 2013
- Lake Merritt Read-in, May 2013